1984 XJS 3.6 Manual Cabriolet – breaking for spares

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      Laurence Jones
        @laurence_admin

Photo 700

Over the last two years my 2nd Cabriolet has been used to donate various parts to assist in the restoration of my 1985 Red Cabriolet (which at long last is now on the road). Items including seats, interior, roof & targa panels, bumpers, windows, lights and even its wheels have all been successfully utilised to improve the other car. Last week we even repatriated the fuel tank across to solve a leaking tank.

My intention was always to restore it, especially as there was less bodywork required than was needed on my Red Cabriolet. However I’ve now reached the decision that I cannot afford to invest the money required to restore my 2nd Cabriolet, given that I’d likely have to aquire another car to donate back the bits and pieces that have been taken off it.

Therefore I’m open to selling it as is for £1,300

If I don’t have any takers, then I will pay the garage to break her into her component parts roughly along the following lines :-

• good front subframe with suspension
        • 3.6 Engine will new clutch (I have someone interested in this)
        • Injector rail
        • Exhaust (though may keep for my other Cab)
        • good 5 speed manual gearbox
        • rear axle/diff
        • doors, bonnet, boot…
        Laurence Jones
          @laurence_admin

Decision has been made to break the car for its main parts (thereby keeping other XJS on the road) and weighing in the remained for scrap (which won’t be much these days).

* Interior, targa panels, roof, petrol tank, wheels – donated to my 1985 Cabriolet
          * 5 speed Manual Gearbox – Sold

Other parts available include
          * Good Front Subframe with all suspension parts
          * 3.6 Engine with new clutch – £400
          * things like the rear axle, diff, brakes etc
          * Bonnet
          * Doors
          * Boot – little rusty along the bottom (which sits behind the lower boot panel)
          * Some exhaust parts

If any of the above are of interest to anyone, or there might be a part or fitting on the car you need, then please get in touch

Laurence
          membership@xjs-soft-tops.com

Bob Flint
            @bob-flint

You have loads of parts that are in demand, mirrors dash , rad , put them on Ebay , you will get loads of money,whats the ski slop like & wood trim..switches , fues box , it is the little bits that add up.

Laurence Jones
              @laurence_admin

Fair point Bob.

Once the garage has removed the engine/gearbox I think I’ll go over and take whatever bits and bats still left off the car – my wife will be pleased 🙂

Laurence

Alex Finlay
                @alex-finlay

Carbs!?

Laurence Jones
                  @laurence_admin

Glad someone reads my posts 🙂

Laurence

Malcolm Wyatt
                    @malcolmw

Hello Laurence, what’s the bonnet like, mines quite rusty from the underside?
                    Need the Crome centre front bumper,
                    Complete rear axle and cradle, preferably 3.54 with power lock,
                    5 speed manual gearbox and flywheel and clutch.
                    Manual pedal box, manual ski slope for centre consul.
                    If any of these parts are available please let me know+price. Malc

Laurence Jones
                      @laurence_admin

Hi Malcolm,

I’m heading over there on Wednesday evening so I’ll take some photos and get in touch.

Gearbox has been sold however.

Laurence

Laurence Jones
                        @laurence_admin

Hi Malcolm Wyatt ,

Here are some photos of the bonnet and doors

Please let me know if you are interested

Laurence

Gerben Haringsma
                          @gerbenharingsma

hi Laurence,
                          could use two mirrors.
                          for some strange reason,someone files part off,where it should touch the door on my car.
                          regards Gerben

Martin Ball
                            @ball

Hi Laurence, I’m after a right rear mudflap. Something taken a nibble out of mine. Any luck?

Laurence Jones
                              @laurence_admin

I’ll check for you on Monday Martin, as can’t recall off hand.

Laurence

Laurence Jones
                                  @laurence_admin

Sorry Martin Ball there are not any mudflats on the car

Laurence

Nigel Williams
                                  @nigelwilliams

Hi Laurence,
                                  When you have a moment could you take a photo of the radio backing plate surround area. Yours might be in better condition than mine!
                                  And thank you so much for sending the temperature dial and all your help on the phone. So much appreciated!
                                  Best wishes,
                                  Nigel

Laurence Jones
                                    @laurence_admin

Hi Nigel Williams

Is this the piece you are seeking

Photo 829

Nigel Williams
                                      @nigelwilliams

Hi Lawrence -that’s it – looks nicer than mine! How much are you after?
                                      Regarding the temp gauge – I fitted yours and it was intermittent, so I refitted mine which was the same….
                                      To cut a long story short which may help other members; it was the copper track within the plastic ‘circuit board’ which had broken where the plug goes in. I got hold of a piece of wire and spliced it into the plug end and also into the temp gauge screw (easy) and that did the trick.
                                      While I was fiddling around, I broke the rev counter feed too, so did the same fix.
                                      Incidentally, I checked both the gauges were working by applying 9v with a PP3 batters and both gave a full scale deflection which led me to look for another cause of the malfunction. Happy to keep it unless anyone else wants a temp gauge.
                                      Hope this helps someone else!

Richard Hartwell
                                        @richardhartwell

Hi Laurence
                                        I can use the ECU in the trunk (DAC3831) if it is still available

Richard in South Florida

Nigel Williams
                                            @nigelwilliams

Hi Lawrence – how much do you need for this part?
                                            Thanks
                                            Nigel

Laurence Jones
                                            @laurence_admin

Hi Richard Hartwell

I will take a look on Monday evening when I’m up at the garage where the car is currently.

Laurence

Richard Hartwell
                                              @richardhartwell

Laurence
                                              While there see if the radiator expansion tank is in good shape. My SC is a LHD so the tank sits on the driver’s wheel well
                                              (of course being the passenger side on the RHD)

Richard Hartwell
                                                @richardhartwell

Hi Laurence
                                                Just checking into see how you made out with the ECU and expansion tanks
                                                Cheers
                                                Richard

Laurence Jones
                                                    @laurence_admin

Hi Richard

Unfortunately it’s a no to both the ECU and expansion tanks 🙁

Mark Thorley might be able to help as a friend is breaking an early XJS I believe.

Laurence

Anonymous

Hi,
                                                    I am after a front spoiler so is it for sale, and if so what price and condition is it in.
                                                    Regards
                                                    Alan

Gerben Haringsma
                                                      @gerbenharingsma

Photo 1196 does not exist

Martin Ball
                                                        @ball

Hi Laurie, do you happen to have a spare wheel cover for the boot?  Also, did the XJSCs come with bags for the targa tops to store in the boot?

Regards

Martin

Laurence Jones
                                                            @laurence_admin

Hi Martin

I do believe I have a black leather wheel cove

Yes each Cabriolet would have benn sold with a special bag for the Targa Panels to store in – it has two compartments, one for each targa panel, and clips via a strap to go across flush with the spare wheel in the boot. Are you looking for one of these too ?

Laurence

Gerben Haringsma
                                                            @gerbenharingsma

i knew you could help me!

please send.. although these rare parts are expensive and transportcosts prohibitive !

therefore only the right hand side one would do..

regards to Christina.

Martin Ball
                                                              @ball

Hi Laurence, if you had wheel cover and the targa top bag then I am certainly interested.  Please let me know, cheers

Martin

Anonymous

Hi Laurence,

What’s the condition of your RHS front wing if it is still available.  I can see some rust but hopefully it is just on the surface.

Alan

Laurence Jones
                                                                  @laurence_admin

Hi Alan Tew

Not sure it is particularly good, but I will ask the garage to take some photos for me and you can decided.

Laurence

Anonymous

Hi Laurence,

When you zoom into the larger picture of your XJS the area at the front edge of the RHS wing it looks quite good, but when you look close at the same area on the series of pictures you have posted later it seems to show some deterioration. Hopefully the garage pictures will show whether it is a solid panel or not.

Thanks

Alan

Laurence Jones
                                                                      @laurence_admin

Hi Alan

Photo 1252

Photo 1253

The garage has asked I don’t do anything with these wings on the donor car until they have conducted further investigation work on Pawla (my V12 Cabriolet)  if they’re not needed for Pawla then they unbolt it and I can send you better photos – I guess I could possibly bring it to the Sunday Lunch meet up at The Old White Beare on 4th March if you’re coming

Laurence

Anonymous

Hi Laurence,

The front edge looks to have dents, so I think I will try and look for one that is better.  Many thanks and I hope Paula is developing ok.

Alan

Anonymous

Hi Laurence,

Do you have any headlight adjuster brackets part No’s AA U1312 & AA U1313 . These are the spring loaded brackets for the single Auro headlight.  I would get away with just the bottom one AA U1313 but would buy a set of 3 if you have any.

Alan

• #13221
                                                                          Gerard Harings
                                                                            @gerard-haringstelenet-be

…hi Laurence, how are you long time no hear…question is the engine stil avaleble? is it(was) it running?…then…. do you have the guide tube off the handbreake…you know the tub  the brake cabble is going tru…..a long time ago  a verry long time ago ( when i stil hat hair) yes yes thad long ago i shortned thet tube ….could not get the cable in….now i can use only 2 mm of my handbrake pats an than i have to renew….

• #13267
                                                                            Laurence Jones
                                                                              @laurence_admin

Hi Gerard Harings

Life has been busy, with work and moving home.

Yes the engine is still available, it was running well with no problems when the car was taken off the road as a donor car.

I will ask the garage about the Handbrake piece you are seeking, it may still be on the donor car. I will let you know,

Laurence

• #13273
                                                                              Anonymous

Hi Laurence,

Please see my message about headlight adjusters + I need a parking light failure sensor that is situated in the passenger side well near the auxiliary fuses part No DAC1908.

Regards

Alan

• #13344
                                                                                Gerard Harings
                                                                                  @gerard-haringstelenet-be

ok thanks   Laurence,  that would by great

Viewing 33 reply threads
                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.